Issue 8

July 2003

When you need to know the news, read the Nulla-Noos

This edition has grown by a couple of pages, due to a beautiful written piece sent in by Geo Wood on his adventures in travelling with us to Sydney and the Open Road Tour & HD's 100th Birthday Celebrations.

But for now, this edition of Nulla-Noos starts with the breakfast ride that was arranged by Stefan and heading out to the Meckering Service Station.

I awoke at 6.30am to an excellent sunrise, long fluffy clouds bathed in a bright red to welcome the dawning of a new day.

It was absolutely perfect for an early morning ride and although it was a little cool, the weatherman had promised a fine 28* day, with thunderstorms in the afternoon.

That didn't worry me too much as I planned to be home by 2.30pm at the latest. The V8 Supercars were on the TV this afternoon, and I intended to be home in time to watch them.

Luigi was due at 7.15am, but as usual, he was early, arriving at 6.50am, so to save just hanging around, we headed down the road to Snoopy & Ros' place to pick them up.

As expected, they weren't ready, but as we were about 20 minutes early, we thought we should wait for awhile and give them a chance.

On the road for the meeting place at the Caltex - Midvale at 7.15am, and we arrived at 7.35am, in time to fuel up and wait for the other to arrive.

Out of the 24 people that turned up for the ride, 10 were Nulla's. Not too shabby for fringe-dwellers when you consider.

Departure was at 8.00am, and the ride to Meckering was great, although the arse dropped out of the temperature in a couple of places.

We arrived at 9.20am, and put the kitchen under the pump straight up asking for coffee all round to warm up.

Food orders taken, we settled in for a wait whilst it was being readied, but it didn't take long for the first of the orders to appear.

That was because Regina had advised them we were on our way, so a lot of the preparations had been done.

There were quite a few "Earth-Quakes" and a few "Tremors" ordered, and a couple of ordinary meals too.

Some of the weaker one's ordered just toast and jam, but I won't name them, they've already suffered enough.

All fed and watered, it was back on the road again and heading for York.

On the way, we stopped at the 1969 Earthquake Site and had a look at the way the earth was moved.

It must have been a hell of a shock when the earth rose 1.54 metres, and according to the details on the sign, it had the power of 10 Hiroshima A-Bombs.

Into York for a quick drink at the pub and a few of our interesting stories were told to the HOG members about our last trip to the east.

I don't think to many of them will be asking to join us as travelling 750-800kms in a day is too far for some of them.

Actually, I got the impression that the 150kms we had done this morning was too far for most of them.

We left York at 1.00pm, without Stefan and Regina as they were heading straight home. No sense in them going back to Midvale so they can turn around and go back to York again.

A few others peeled off and went their own separate ways on the ride back to Perth, and I hope they all made it safely home.

We decided to stop and farewell each other at the bottom of Greenmount, only to watch most of them ride straight past and disappear into the distance.

Oh well, it was a good ride, so we said goodbye to those who did stop, and headed home.

It's just a pity there wasn't a better attendance by the HOG club members who whine about the Nullaboys in general.

A 10-14 ratio, I think that's a piss poor effort from the other Perth members.

Oh well, their loss. Thanks Stefan, we had a great ride and an excellent breaky

Membership renewals have flooded back in, and thanks go to everybody for sending them back to me so promptly too.

All except one of our 2002-2003 memberships was renewed, which is excellent, and we have even managed to add a few new members this year as well.

Some of these new members travelled with us to Sydney and back, and joined prior to going. The others have joined us because they plan to go across the paddock with us in the future.

But whatever their reason for joining the Nullaboys, they still rate a mention as new members to the club.

Steve "Spider" Edmonds, who is our new Webmaster, Peter "Yoda" Ewing, Terry "Grubby" Mansfield, Geo & Aud Wood, Neville "Yo-Yo" Gerick, Bev Lupica, Dianne Smallwood, Regina Michel, Lorraine Di Pietro, Carl Smith & Mark "4-X" Iredell.

And we've even gained a couple of new members from the other side this year too. Greg "GeeJay" Gallagher, ex Perth but now residing Adelaide and our favourite baker, Dick Waters from Wudinna.

Dick rode with us from Walwa to Sydney this year, and GeeJay wanted to catch up with family in Perth, so he rode back to Perth from Adelaide with us.

And even though Dick has never crossed the Nullarbor with us, I think we've known him long enough and I invited him to join the group, which he accepted.

All he has to do now is send his money to me ….. and you can treat this as your last reminder too Dick.

So to all of the new guys and gals, I hope you enjoy your time as members of the best known "unofficial" HOG Chapter in the country.

So members, if you bump into them somewhere, please welcome them into the Nullaboys International Motorcycle Club

Have you checked out the Nullaboys web site yet ??

It's getting bigger by the minute, thanks to the photo's from a few of you, and Spider wanting to play with it all the time.

It could still do with a bit of input from some of you by sending me some blurb on yourself so we can expand the Members page a bit more.

It doesn't have to be too much and it doesn't have to be flash either.

Also, if you want a "" e-mail address, it's there waiting for you.

Just let Spider know and he'll advise you vie e-mail how to go about setting it up.

The date for the next BBQ is Sunday August 3rd, and it's to be held at Luigi's place in Wanneroo.

I'll send you an e-mail with the details as the time gets closer, but you can lock the date in.

Nullaboys BBQ … August 3rd 2003 … Hope to see you there …..

Saturday, May 10th and it was off to Pop & Di's for a Sausage Sizzle before we headed to the Pickering Brook Agricultural Show Day.

Another magnificent day for riding and as the weatherman has been very kind to us lately, I expected a big turn out from the HOG's at Pop & Di's for the free BBQ lunch.

And once again, I was wrong. 11 bikes in total and 9 were Nullaboys. What can you say ??

After a short stay at Pop's, it was off to the show, and it was a pretty simple affair. Roll up, park the bikes, get a purple armband, and go wander around for a while and check out the stalls.

I found the beer tent, and the toilet, so I was set for the afternoon. Others spent their money on nik-nak's and supported the other stalls around the oval.

The Crazy Cow was doing a good trade with the kids, trying to send them home with a few bruises and a broken bone or two.

The good ol' boys in their ute's were there, in all their glory. On one ute, I counted 22 Spotlights, 6 whip aerials and 4 blokes in the front seat.

And the bull-bars on some of them must have been stolen from the front of a Kenworth truck. They were massive.

A good day out was had by all, and we'll have to do it again next year too I think.

Now, most of you would have read this once already, but as I had already typed it into our mag, I wasn't going to waste my typing skills and delete it again ??
So, get comfortable, you can bloody well read it again now……


Geo writes on his adventure to the party

In deciding whether to make the effort and expense to attend Harley Davidson's 100th Anniversary 3day party in Sydney, I did what most would do and weigh up things like my degree of interest, the uniqueness of the event, and of course, the time and money involved.

I guess what really sealed it for me though was a strong and prevailing feeling that my father, long since passed away, was somehow very much part of the history of the event, and would have jumped at the chance of attending what proved to be very special.

You see a 1939 Harley Big Twin resplendent with a custom chair, and sometimes a cargo box, was our only family transportation in the 40's and 50's.

I came home from the maternity hospital in my mother's arms in it; as a family, we went on holiday's on it; Dad and (later) I went to work daily on it; as a sixteen year old, I got my first license on it, and ultimately owned this thing of beauty.

I have vivid memories of Dad compressing the 10/12's valve springs as Mum fumbled the collets onto the valve stems, on the kitchen table, as yet another top overhaul was done, and have a million other memories of that grand old machine.

Oh yes, that grand old machine was my Dads pride and joy, but it was also our vital means of transport, living in what then the wilds of Mahogany Creek in the eastern hills area.

There was another element too, as Audrey and I had courted in the rain and shine on the old '39 twin. And we still chuckle at how we would push the outfit down the hill away from her parents house at night as I returned home after a later than proper assignation!

Yes, we had a good reason to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of a legend.

Close to 20 of us, all Harley riding Perth HOG members belonging to a long distance riding set called the Nullaboys, gathered March 1 at the Bell Tower for the long slog, with a small group cheering us goodbye.

Aud & I nearly bankrupted ourselves with his & hers Anniversary Road Kings for the trip, and whilst the Electraglides comprised the majority, there were many other models, from Sportsters to a modern version of the grand old Springer along. We were blessed with the company of three lady riders, and a compatible group it was to prove to be.

Reinforcing the old adage that it's the journey, not the destination that matters, Wizard, our leader for the trip, took us south to Albany for the first night stop-over, a scenic run through the Ferguson Valley and many South-West towns for a rehearsal of what was to come.

The routine basically was not too much self-destruction at night, a 7.00am start, with a catch-up if you weren't ready, breakfast after about 200kms, ride till a late lunch with a 40 minute break, then hard at it until about 4.00pm. The most we did in a day was close to 900kms.

Speed was dictated by road conditions, livestock, constabulary and our need to meet our basic schedule, but with 100-120kph being around the norm. The time zone differences made it tough at times though. Wizard & Luigi our tail end Charlie, on their Ultra's were in full-time radio contact, which helped no end.

With accommodation booked ahead, we got some great discounts and special arrangements; a spin-off of being in a group that specialises in interstate travel. The only down side was the odd occasion of sharing with the snorers in the bunkhouse style accommodation.

We picked up Bev, Benny, Godfather & Lorraine at Norseman, then it was overnight at Mundrabilla, Wudinna and then the magnificent West Beach Caravan Park in Adelaide for a lay day, highlighted by a late night tram ride from Glenelg to Adelaide after dinner, and not pie-floaters either.

Picking up Stefan & Regina in Ararat and later our "eastern" Road Captain Johno, we overnighted in Ballarat and then some place I just can't remember. Next day on to hilly resort called Walwa, near Corryong, memorable for kangaroos floating past the cabins each evening and the arrival of Dickie, our baker mate from Wudinna on his 103 cube Deuce.

After another slipped day, we took to the Snowy Mountains Highway, scarred by the recent bush fires but nevertheless enjoyable. Audy punctured a rear tyre on the Road King at Tom Groggin in the rain, but we made it to Jindabyne for repairs. [Amen to my Holt's Repair Gunk and those little BB Gas cylinders Pop had packed].

Then down Brown Mountain in the rain, quite challenging for some: we saw our first lush pastures for the trip, and then we hit the East Coast, staying at the lovely pub at Tathra. In a reverse of our first day of the trip, we headed north through Berry as the Kangaroo Valley was too wet, and split up for our respective digs as we approached Sydney, the Big Smoke. I still shake when I think of navigating to and through the tunnel for the first time on our way to stay with our kids at St Leonard's.

The trip had gone without incident, taken us 10 days and proved the comfort and capability of the modern Harley Davidson. No doubt our old '39 Big Twin would have coped, but not in the comfort and speed of today's machine.

The ORT show was over 3 days at the Olympic Stadium complex, set out over many acres, and utilising many of the facilities.

Friday was a reception for HOG members only and thousands poured in, many riding, to be fed and watered and finally entertained by no less than Angry Anderson on the huge stage. It was a prelude to a great weekend.

The extent of the historic exhibits was evident on the Saturday with pavilions brilliantly in a walk through time. A replica of the original "factory" brought home the humble beginnings of this marque, and assembly lines and cutaways of the Twin Cam 88's and the V-Rods provided a great insight into how far things have come.

Wall displays set out the Harley chronological history and progress, supported by thousands of items from the company's museums and archives. It was like yesteryear !!

A whole section took us through the history of motorcyclists' dress and apparel, another showed actual fuel tanks from some 100 models back to the start, in their authentic colour schemes. Our old 39 tank featured too, it was heaven!!

So many old bikes from the Milwaukee HD Museum, stating with one of the first half dozen made in 1903, not much more than a big bicycle really. And the classics like the flatheads, 36 Knucklehead, the WLA, the Duo-Glide, the K model, the 8 valve racer, they were all there in spades. In addition, locally based old restorations and "originals" were shown to good effect. This was undoubtedly the most comprehensive collection of Harley Davidson's ever seen in Australia and maybe in the Southern Hemisphere…ever!!

Non-stop videos showed how Harleys featured in so many movies, and another showed the extent of celebrity ownership in the 100 years of production. And the way the WLA, "the bike that won the war" earnt it's strips was also featured.

Commemorative clothing and memorabilia was for sale, trick riding on Buells and Harleys came on ever hour or so, there were endless demo rides, and the night time entertainment included INXS, Yothu Yindi, Killing Heidi, Vanessa Amorosi, and concluded with Jimmy Barnes belting it out for the mix of bikers and bikies in the audience.

We attended both show days, as I guess many others did and still there were things to discover, it was just fantastic. I heard nothing but praise for the show, shown or still to be shown at Atlanta, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Toronto, Dallas, Barcelona, Hamburg, and finally Milwaukee. It was just a revelation.

Not many motorcycle manufacturers have made it to 100, and Harley Davidson made sure they celebrated in style.

As I rode away and reflected on what I had seen and done, I could feel my Dad somewhere nodding approvingly at it all, pleased that we'd taken the effort to pay homage to something that he'd treasured and enjoyed. It's a pity that the tyranny of time won't allow our son or daughter to do the same, but maybe the grand kids ??
Geo ………

Well, it made for interesting reading, and it was better than my bloody rambling's wasn't it ??

See you soon, hopefully at the BBQ.........

Your President & Editor & Functions
Manager & Ride Organiser & Complaint
Officer and General Dogsbody